Objects of interest
Neikenkalns Open-air Concert Hall and Neikenkalns (mountain)
The outstanding event - the first Song festival in 1864 took place at Neiken`s hill, organized by Juris Neikens, a writer, a teacher and an education organizator. The singers from Mazsalaca, Rujiena, Straupe, Limbazi and Lielsalaca also took part. This was the beginning of the first Song Festival of Latvia in Riga, 1873. In 1973, marking the 100th anniversary of the first Song festival, a stone with a memorial plaque was unveiled at the foot of Neiken`s hill. When the 120th anniversary was celebrated in 1984, the plaque was changed. The author is A. Zelcs. There is an open air stage right next to it.