Culture and History
Add to route
The hill is in fact a defensive structure or ravelin from the 17th century, created in the time of Swedish rule. It obtained its name from the most prominent Baltic German family in Valmiera — the Walter family of doctors and pastors, who owned the one of the few buildings in the town remaining from the 18th century, now forming part of the complex of buildings of Valmiera Museum. The most outstanding member of this family was Bishop Ferdinand Walter, Superintendent-General of the High Consistory of Livland and the founding figure behind the Vidzeme Teachers’ Seminary. It has been suggested that this is the site of Autîne, one of the ancient hillforts. A wooden pavilion has been recreated here, based on early 20th century postcard views of the structure enhancing this site.
Walter’s Hill and its neighbourhood has always been a favourite randezvous and promenade place. You can only imagine how many bright personalities of Valmiera have walked past this secular Linden (lime) Tree and what interesting stories the tree has heard. Pāvils Rozītis (1889-1937) is now recognized as the author of the most famous literary work about Valmiera, it is the novel “The Boys of Valmiea”; but the linden tree saw him when he was young. At the beginning of the 20 century he frequented this place with his friends, Walter’s Hill knew about his first love dreams and maybe even heard the first spoken words of love ... Who knows? It is possible that the inspiration of his famous words about Valmiera came while looking at the Gauja from the top of Walter’s Hill: “There are many cities with other rivers flowing through them, but the Gauja flows only through Valmiera!