The baroque-gothic floor of the church built in the 80s of the 17th century stands in the very center of Matīši parish. The church was consecrated on September 21, 1687, on St. Matthew’s Day, hence the name of the church.
It is believed that the church was built according to the project of the main construction manager of Riga, Ruberts Bindešū, whose one of the most recognizable works is the tower of the Riga St. Peter’s Church. Perhaps that is why the shape of the tower of the church in Matīši resembles a simplified tower of the Riga church with a gilded rooster and a ball, and its height is 45 meters.
The church contains an altarpiece of Christ on the cross, while the portal of the main entrance is decorated with a vestibule depicting 2 palm branches, a royal crown and the monogram of King Charles XI of Sweden. The organ of the church, which is still working and is sung in church services and concerts, was made in 1867 by the famous German organ master Friedrich Ladegast. Upon prior application, tours are conducted in the church, and you can also climb the church tower and look out over the scenic countryside of Matīši parish and the surrounding countryside. In clear weather it is possible to see the expanses of lake Burtnieks and Zilokalns from the tower.
The church is a cultural monument of national importance.