Welcome to Valmiera! Here, life passionately boils in the same rhythm as the bends of the Gauja river, and the present force of nature provides inexhaustible energy. We have prepared a compilation of TOP tourist attractions just for you – visit them and get to know the diversity of the Valmiera Region!
What to see and do?
- The Gauja river Steep Banks Park of Senses – is located in one of the most picturesque places in Valmiera, on the banks of Gauja river. A walk in the fresh air along the steep bank of the Gauja surrounded by pine trees can be turned into a great adventure here, enjoying the path in the trees, the barefoot trails and the net cube.
- The Zilākalns cultural history and visitors center ZTornis is located at the foot of Zilaiskalns, in the premises of an old water tower and in a modern annex. Here you can see the historical exhibition about the natural object and holy place “Zilaiskalns”, the village of Zilaiskalns, and the water tower. With the aid of virtual reality glasses, you will be able to rise above Zilaiskalns and observe the historic narrow-gauge railway locomotive. Meanwhile a ride on the railway bicycles will be an exciting and active adventure for both children and adults. The route leads along the branch of the narrow-gauge railway from the village of Zilaiskalns to the peat swamp and its total length is ~ 4 km.
- At the Valmiera swimming pool guests are free to use pools of different sizes, as well as relax in the water recreation area and saunas. The large swimming pool with 8 swimming lanes is suitable for both large and small visitors. Additionally, a visit to the Valmiera swimming pool’s Recreation Area will help you relax after a long working day, as well as perfectly complement everyone’s holiday plans.
- Valmiermuiža beer brewery welcomes guests on a tour of the brewery (must be booked in advance), where you can get to know the processes and history of the drinks made in Valmiermuiža. Meanwhile Valmiermuiža beer kitchen and terace will be the right place, where to enjoy Latvian cuisine in combination with leisurely brewed beer or soft drinks. The Valmiermuiža stable is located nearby and guests can get to know the everyday life of the stable residents and go horseback riding.
- Sietiņiezis – one of the most beautiful rocks in Latvia and the largest outcrop of white sandstone in the Baltics. It is about 15m high and 400m long and is surrounded by a well-maintained nature trail. The southern part of Sietiņiezis offers an impressive view of the ancient valley of Gauja river, and scenic pine forests spread around.
- Fantasy land “Neonija” is a unique viewing exposition that takes you into a dreamy world. The interplay of unusual art and bright neon colors will allow every visitor to realize their dream.
- Beverīna wooden sculpture park and labyrinths is located 11 km from Valmiera and offers more than 80 different large-format outdoor games and attractions, 6 labyrinths and more than 370 wooden sculptures.
- Lake Burtnieks – the fourth largest lake in Latvia, which has a length of 13.5 km and lies beautifully in the western part of Northern Vidzeme. On its shore is the Vīsraga nature trail and two lookout towers, from which you can observe not only beautiful natural views, but also various species of birds.
- Valmiera St. Simon’s church – one of the most important Latvian medieval architectural monuments, which houses valuable art monuments. During church hours, you can climb the tower, where along the way you can see the church bell, the clock mechanism and the exhibition hall built into the tower. A beautiful view of the town and Gauja river opens from the observation deck of the tower.
- Sports and active recreation park “Mežs” is located close the Valmiera town center, where people of different ages can enjoy active and safe recreation. The 200 m2 area can be used for streetball games and other activities. You will be able to exercise properly in the fitness area, while those who prefer riding a scooter, roller skates, skateboard or bicycle will find the 170 m long bicycle track attractive.
- Disc golf park “Pauku Priedes” – the park is located in a beautiful area at the banks of the Gauja river, where 18 disc golf carts are located in a meadow and forest area – a terrain suitable for an exciting game.
- Valmiera Museum – here you can see the permanent expositions about the history of the town and the region, as well as the thematic exhibitions of works of art, which are changed regularly.
Where to eat?
- Restaurant “Akustika” is located in the ancient post and telegraph building of Valmiera, which is one of the grandest buildings in the town. The chefs of the restaurant offer a new concept menu from which each guest can combine his own meal, thus opening up the opportunity to enjoy a variety of flavor combinations. In the recently created concert hall of the restaurant “Akustika”, guests can enjoy music and art.
- Restaurant “Rātes vārti” is located at the very center of Valmiera and is a favorite meeting place for locals and town guests to leisurely enjoy exquisite food and refreshing drinks. The menu is characterized by seasonality with an emphasis on local products, which allows you to get to know the rich flavor nuances of the region.
- Vīnkalni pizzeria is located in the heart of the old town of Valmiera, in a house with a historical aura. Here you can enjoy a wonderful atmosphere, family hospitality, Italian pizza baked in a wood-fired oven and other dishes.
- Cafe “Ahh-meat” is located close to the town center and the Sports and active recreation park “Mežs”. The rich offer of food and drinks will introduce you to the world of real Turkish cuisine.
- Cafe “Tērbata” is located in the center of Valmiera, a few steps away from the promenade of Dzirnavu lake. Here guests can taste delicious food and drinks, as well as enjoy a relaxed atmosphere permeated by the energy and passion of the cafe’s staff.
For more information about accommodation, dining possibilities and what to experience in Valmiera and its region, visit here.